Photo of The Highfields pub Cardiff

This proposed listing forms part of the draft Cardiff buildings of local historic or architectural interest list - Public Houses, Hotels and Clubs (current and former)

Building reference

23 The Highfields Inn

Date

1941 as a pub, building to at least 1886

Address

Caerau Rd, CF5 5JP

Download site boundary plan.

Ward

Caerau

History

Map evidence indicates that The Highfields Inn is located on the site of Caerau Farmhouse (see OS Map of 1886). By 1941, the place was known as ‘Highfield’ and was possibly in use as a garden nursery.1

Glamorgan Archives show the public house resulted from conversion of the existing building, undertaken in 1955 by the architect D. H. Rees.

Further, C20 additions to the rear and east.

 

¹ See extensive glasshouses in OS map of 1947 and Glamorgan Archive Entry for 1948.

Description

The Highfields Inn consists of a long range of adjoined buildings orientated along a northwest-southeast axis, set within a generous plot on Caerau Road. What appears to be the earliest portion is of two storeys to the north-west, with plain rendered walls and a pitched and slated roof. It comprises of five asymmetric bays, the first being set slightly higher, with a wide frontage and centrally positioned windows. There is a rendered stack to the north-eastern end. To the rear, a small, single storey flat-roof extension.

The remaining four-bay portion has an assorted window arrangement, with a pitched and slated porch to the LHS of the elevation and a further entrance set slightly off centre. It has a centrally positioned and rendered chimney stack. To the rear, a long ‘cat slide’ extension and a gabled range set lower than the ridge and extending north-east. All windows are modern, brown UPVC.

Adjoining to the south-east is a single-storey range with a slated roof and asymmetric façade. There is a large off-centre gable with porched entrance below. Large, modern casement windows to either side. A tall slender and rendered chimney stack to the south-eastern end. To the rear, a large flat-roof extension.

Further again to the south-east is a modern adjoining square-plan flat-roof and parapet structure, set substantially forward of the building line. It has three modern fixed-casement windows to the front elevation and a further flat-roofed extension to the rear.

Reason

Evidential and Historical Value as a conversion from Caerau Farmhouse.

Some 68 years serving the community also imparts Communal Value.

References

Glamorgan Archives

BC/S/1/46209

Proposed Conversion into Licensed Premises, Highfields, Caerau Road, Ely

1955 – Architect: D. H. Rees – Developer: Mr E. J. Crowley

12 Plans – Including Elevations

BC/S/1/23429

New Roads & Diversion of Footpaths, Highfields

1925 – Architect: W Lewis & P Jones – Developer: W Lewis & P Jones

2 Plans

BC/S/1/37502

House and shop, The Nurseries, Highfield, Caerau Road

1948 – Architect: Unknown – Developer: E J Crowley

2 Plans, inc. elevations

Additional images

1886 OS map showing The Highfields pub Cardiff

1886 OS Map (surveyed 1875-81)

 

1955 drawing showing The Highfields Inn Cardiff

Ground floor conversion of the farmhouse, 1955

Location

Have your say