Photo of The Hollybush pub Cardiff

This proposed listing forms part of the draft Cardiff buildings of local historic or architectural interest list - Public Houses, Hotels and Clubs (current and former)

Building reference

24 The Hollybush

Date

1840 but likely rebuilt

Address

Pendwyallt Rd, CF14 7EG

Download site boundary plan.

Ward

Whitchurch and Tongwynlais

History

A ‘Holly Bush Public House’ appears upon the site of the existing building within the tithe map of 1840. The associated apportionment indicates the land was owned by the Marquis of Bute and the property occupied by Joseph Jones.

By the census of 1841, the property was occupied by William Lewis. At this date, the building was of L-Plan form, with a long range set back from the road and a wing extending to the fore, at the north-western end.

By the OS map of 1898, this seems to have substantially changed, the building consisting of a single range against the roadside (perhaps indicating reconstruction between these two dates).

The form of the building appears to have changed again by the OS map of 1920, though the principal range fronting the road may still have be in situ, with additional construction to the rear (and to both ends).

Archival evidence suggests work was undertaken in 1937 (amended drainage and a new garage) and it appears this work involved substantial remodelling as, by the OS map of 1946, the form of the building is much changed, altered to the to the general plan seen today.

Description

A complex arrangement of buildings with the principal, two-storey portions comprising of plain-tiled roofs, roughcast-rendered elevations, diamond-leaded casement windows and mock-timber framing to first floor.

The elevation fronting the road is of three bays, with single-storey flat roof entrance blocks to either end. A second, long range extends from the rear towards the north-east, with further ranges extending the north-west and south-east. There are various further flat-roof infills and additions and a long narrow range to the rear, presumably a bowling alley.

There is an expansive car park to the north, accessed from Pendwyallt Road.

Reason

There has been a public house on this site for at least 180 years.

The date of the current building is unclear (likely C20) but the whole has considerable Historical and Communal Value.

References

Glamorgan Archives

DNCB/6/14/3/4

Ordnance Survey, First Edition (1875)

DSA/12/929

Building plots on Merthyr Road, Whitchurch (adjoining and adjacent to the Hollybush Inn.

1902 – Particulars and conditions of sale with plan, for auction 20 Sep 1902.

RDC/S/2/1937/28

Amended Drainage, Hollybush Inn, Whitchurch

1937 – Architect: Gerald Stanley – Developer: Wm Hancock & Co Ltd

Plans inc. elevations

RDC/S/2/1937/136

Garage, Hollybush Inn, Whitchurch

1937 – Architect: Gerald Stanley – Developer: Wm Hancock & Co Ltd

Plans inc. elevations

RDC/S/2/1937/173

Garage, Hollybush Inn, Whitchurch

1937 – Architect: Gerald Stanley – Developer: Wm Hancock & Co Ltd

Plans inc. elevations

Additional images

OS map of 1898 showing the Hollybush Inn Cardiff

OS map of 1898

Location

Have your say