Photo of The Roath Park pub Cardiff

This proposed listing forms part of the draft Cardiff buildings of local historic or architectural interest list - Public Houses, Hotels and Clubs (current and former)

Building reference

39 The Roath Park

Date

1886

Address

170 City Road, CF24 3JE

Download site boundary plan.

Ward

Plasnewydd

History

The Roath Park Hotel located on the corner of City Road and Kincraig Street is said to date from 1886.1

Built on land owned by the Mackintosh Estate, urban development began here in 1886, but Wright’s Directory of Cardiff (1886) does not list Kincraig Street, so it is possible the Roath Park Hotel was not in existence until 1887. An amended plan for business premises at the junction (dated 1886) may refer to the building of the Roath Park Hotel (Glamorgan archives: BC/S/1/5933).

According to Roath Local History Society, ‘…the hotel mainly manages to keep itself out of the newspapers apart from the usual arguments about liquor licences in the 1890s, the occasional person walking in and dropping dead from natural causes and Mr Naish, a greengrocer, being accused was accused of regularly taking bets in there in 1936. In 1954 (for probate purposes) the Roath Park was valued at £12,140. The owner was William J Davies who had previously owned various Docks pubs, including the Mount Stuart. It had a skittle alley that was still there in the mid-1980s.’2

Now closed.

Application for redevelopment withdrawn as it was to be refused (20/01952/MJR). Prior approval granted for demolition (PRAP/21/00042/MNR).

Cadw rejected a Spot Listing request for the building in August 2021.

Latest proposals show façades retained with a replica additional floor added via 23/00492/FUL.

 

1 The illustrated history of Cardiff’s pubs.

2 https://roathlocalhistorysociety.org/2020/10/23/roath-park-hotel/

Description

A substantial, three-storey building prominently located on the corner of City Road and Kincraig Street. Constructed in coursed pennant stone with polychromatic brick string courses. Six-bay elevation to City Road with 3-bay breakfront to LHS. Gothic-arched windows (ground and first floor) and doors have stone dressings with stop chamfers moulded heads. Windows to second floor have segmental arch heads (except to breakfront where they are flat).

Timber sash windows remain to upper floors. Dentilled and corbelled red brick eaves to hipped and slated roof with roof top platform surrounded by railings. Substantial single-storey extension to the north-east, along Kincraig Street of C20 date.

Reason

A prominently located building of imposing architectural design and high quality materials.

Historical and Aesthetic Value.

Though closed, the building continues to impart considerable Communal Value.

References

Glamorgan Archives

BC/S/1/5933

Amended plan of business premises, Castle Road & Kincraig Street

1886 – Architect: C Rigg – Developer: Mr Rees

1 Plan, no elevations

DCONC/6/118a-c

Roath Park Hotel, City Road

Possible Plans

DSA/12/2723

1916-1922

Valuation to be agreed with H.M. Inspector of Taxes, also removal of stairs and encroachment at Royal Oak.

(S.A. Brain & Co. Ltd.) 10/E.

Correspondence 4 Jan-19 Feb 1916 and 23 Mar 1920-1 Mar 1922, including:

The Roath Park Hotel

(a) Sheets of assessments and takings for valuation.

(b) Purchases and expenses.

(c) Cost and other calculations.

(d) Summary of purchases and losses handwritten.

DSA/12/2723

The Roath Park Hotel, City Road, The Woodville Hotel, Woodville Road and The Royal Oak, Broadway, all Cardiff

Valuation to be agreed with H.M. Inspector of Taxes, also removal of stairs and encroachment at Royal Oak.

(S.A. Brain & Co. Ltd.) 10/E.

1 file

Additional images

Photo of the Roath Park pub Cardiff in the 1800s

The Roath Park in the 1800s

 

1920 map showing the Roath Park pub Cardiff

1915, Published 1920. Glamorgan XLIII.11

Location

Have your say