Photo of The Royal Oak pub Cardiff

This proposed listing forms part of the draft Cardiff buildings of local historic or architectural interest list - Public Houses, Hotels and Clubs (current and former)

Building reference

41 The Royal Oak

Date

c.1868

Address

17 Merthyr Road, CF14 1DA

Download site boundary plan.

Ward

Whitchurch and Tongwynlais

History

Little is known of the origins and history of this establishment.

First newspaper reference comes in February 1868, when the owner of a Beerhouse called the ‘Royal Oak, Whitchurch’ (Mr George Roberts) was fined 20s for selling beer during prohibited hours (for a second time).

By 1871, the establishment was known as the Royal Oak Inn, presumably due to the Wine and Beer House Act of 1869 bringing such establishments under control of the local justices.

Alterations were undertaken in 1922, to the designs of the Architects Mott and Smith. The extent of this work is currently unknown.

Description

Located on a narrow plot, the front elevation of this building is in a ‘Mock-Tudor’ style. The ground floor is in pressed red brick, featuring a 4-part casement window with stone mullions and metal-framed windows with rectangular leaded lights.

Pedestrian door to the RHS has a moulded stone surround. The upper storey is finished in mock timber-framing with a bracketed, jettied and gabled dormer window, featuring 3 no. cross-mullion timber windows with leaded casements. Gable is vertically studded. Slated and pitched roof with red brick chimney stack.

Lower, two-storey perpendicular extension to the rear. Further, single-storey flat-roof extension fills the majority of the narrow plot.

Reason

A diminutive but well-detailed ‘Mock-Tudor’ building of considerable age.

Aesthetic and Historical Value.

Some 150 years of service imbues considerable Communal value.

References

Glamorgan Archives

RDC/S/2/1922/4

Alterations, Royal Oak Inn, Whitchurch

1922 – Architect: Mott & Smith – Developer: Messrs W Hancock

1 plan, including elevations.

DSA/6/549

Auction Particulars: Portions of the Penlline Castle Estate in the parish of Whitchurch.

Including: The Royal Oak (17 Merthyr Rd.)

1 booklet – Plans missing

Additional images

1886 OS map showing Whitchurch village Cardiff

1875 to 1881, Published 1886. Glamorgan Sheet XLIII

Location

Have your say