Photo of The Tavistock pub Cardiff

This proposed listing forms part of the draft Cardiff buildings of local historic or architectural interest list - Public Houses, Hotels and Clubs (current and former)

Building reference

43 The Tavistock

Date

Pre-1878

Address

1-3 Bedford Street, CF24 3DB

Download site boundary plan.

Ward

Plasnewydd

History

The Tavistock Hotel is located on the corner of Bedford Street and Tavistock Street. These street names (and nearby Russell Street) probably originate from William Russell; 1st Duke of Bedford and Marquess of Tavistock (1616-1700). However, the pub sign has in recent years depicted a ship, likely a reference to HMS Tavistock.

The first newspaper mention of the Tavistock Hotel dates from to 1878 (when the licence was transferred to a new landlord).

The building is first shown within the OS map of 1880 (surveyed 1877) – occupying the corner as today, with yard to the north-west. To Tavistock Street, a complete row of houses closes the block to its east.

Alterations were undertaken in 1925 to the designs of Ivor Jones & Percy Thomas, by which time Brains & Co. were the owners. This work presumably resulted in the narrow rear extension seen within the OS maps of 1920 (surveyed 1915) and 1947 (surveyed 1941). The rear shows further piecemeal extension by 1972.

Sometime after this date, the two terrace houses to the east were lost, and the public house was extended into the flat roof addition seen today. Sash windows to the lower floor were lost before 1982, those to the upper floor were lost between 1982 and 2008.

Description

The principal (and original) portion of the building is a two-storey structure with faceted corner onto the junction of Tavistock Street and Bedford Street. This five-bay range extends primarily down Bedford Street, with a single bay fronting onto Tavistock. Rendered and painted throughout. Windows are modern uPVC. Modern timber doors to south-west, set within larger, bricked-up openings. Roof is pitched, slated and gabled, with a hip to the faceted corner.

Large, modern flat roof extension to the rear with parapet elevation to Tavistock Street featuring casement windows within brick breakfronts.

Modern flat roof garage to former service yard, incorporating remnants of stone boundary wall to Bedford Street.

Reason

A prominently located public house. Some 145 years of service imparts Historical and Communal Value.

References

Glamorgan Archives

 BC/S/1/24170

Alterations to hotel, Tavistock Hotel, Bedford Street

1925 – Architect: I Jones & P Thomas – Developer: S A Brain & Co Ltd

2 plans, no elevations

 DCONC/6/136a-c

Tavistock Hotel

1926-1934

Possible Plans

DSA/6/711

The Tavistock Hotel, Cardiff & the Bush Hotel, Chepstow, Monmouthshire.

3 Jun 1924

Auctioneer: Coggins & Co., 46 Charles St., Cardiff

Owner: Estate of James Price, dec’d. [See DSA/10/10 Item 137]

The Tavistock Hotel, off City Rd., Roath, Cardiff; and

The Bush Hotel, Chepstow, Mon.

2 lots.

No plan.

 DSA/12/4044

1922-1923

Schedule A Assessment.

(S. & A. Brain and Co. Ltd.). F/15.

Inc. The Tavistock

Additional images

1886 OS map showing The Tavistock pub Cardiff

1875 to 1881, Published 1886. Glamorgan Sheet XLIII

Location

Have your say