Photo of the Globe Centre, Cardiff

This proposed listing forms part of the draft Cardiff buildings of local historic or architectural interest list - Public Houses, Hotels and Clubs (current and former)

Building reference

69 The Globe

Date

Globe Centre built 1986. Live music Venue since 2008.

Address

125 Albany Road, Plasnewydd CF24 3NA

Download site boundary plan.

Ward

Plasnewydd

History

The 1909 Cinematograph Act saw first licencing of cinemas and instigated a boom in the building of purpose-built premises. It seems the first ‘Electric Cinema Theatre’ in Wales was opened on Queen Street, Cardiff in September 1909 (Evening Express, 21st September 1909) and, according to Roath History Society, there is a reference to a cinema on the corner of Albany Road and Wellfield Road as early as 1910. It was first called the ‘Albany Cinema’.1

By 1914, it was the ‘Penylan Cinema’; a building of elaborate and eclectic design, with a fine interior which seated 542.

The cinema was renamed ‘The Globe’ around the same time it was rewired so that ‘talkies’ could be shown (1931).

The building ceased operation in 1985 and was demolished in 1987.

In 1988, lease was acquired of a new cinema in Roath. Situated some 100 yards east of the old, it formed part of the new ‘Globe Centre’ complex, built upon the corner site. It was named the ‘Monroe’.

The operator (Circle Cinemas) withdrew after 10 years, citing lack of feasibility for a single screen cinema. The Monroe Cinema closed in 1999.

The cinema was, for a time, run by the Chapter Arts Centre and then became a Bollywood venture, before finally closing in 2001.

Today it is a successful music venue called ‘The Globe’, which opened in 2008.

 

1 Roath Local History Society: The Globe. Available: https://roathlocalhistorysociety.org/2020/01/04/the-globe/

Description

The Globe music venue occupies a former cinema and forms part of the Globe Centre, which occupies the corner of Albany Road and Wellfield Road, with The Pear Tree public house to the fore.

The whole is designed with distinctive Post-Modern influences, built in brindled brick with red brick accents (string and soldier courses).

The Globe portion of the building has a three-storey entrance front with hipped roof. At ground floor, the entrance is framed by timber pilasters and fascia signage. Above, the original red window frames have been lost (replaced in brown uPVC).

Adjacent, the two-storey portion has an integrated modern shopfront, with elliptical-arch car port alongside. Original ventilation grille and window survive above.

The whole is frame by plain brick pilasters which channel the original, square-section and red-coloured rainwater goods.

Reason

There has been a long history of entertainment venues on this site, with this most recent iteration perpetuating the ‘Globe’ name.

The Globe is located within a distinctive ‘Po-Mo’ building complex, built to a design very much of its time.

Today it is a popular and dedicated live music venue.

There is some Historical and Aesthetic Value. Communal Value is very high.

References

Glamorgan Archives

 

BC/S/1/19166

Pavement area, Penylan Cinema, Wellfield Road

1914

Architect: Willmott & Smith

Developer: R Snook

 

DSA/12/4333

Penylan Cinema, Cardiff.

1923

Income Tax Schedule ‘A’ Assessment Appeal 1923.

(Roath Park Cinema Limited).

 

DX922/93-96

Rebuilding of Globe Cinema

1986, showing two statues that formerly supported the old cinema

4 Prints

 

D1183          

Circle Cinemas, Records

1910-2008

 

D1183/4/40

15 Jan 1999-25 Jan 1999

Letter expressing regret for the closure of the Monroe cinema, owned by Circle Cinemas Ltd, with a letter of response from Mr Bull

Additional images

Photo of The Penylan Cinema Cardiff, date unknown

The Penylan Cinema, date unknown

 

Photo of The Monroe Cinema Cardiff, date unknown.

The Monroe Cinema, date unknown.

Location

Have your say